Friday, August 25: Philemon- Friendship and relationships.

Paul prayed for Philemon, …that your partnership with us in the faith may be effective in deepening your understanding of every good thing we share for the sake of Christ (6).

This verse spurred thinking about my friendships and relationships. Does hanging around me have a similar effect on others? Does the faith of others grow because they are somehow connected to me?

This is not an easy question to answer, partly because I do not know what is going on inside of other people. It is also hard to know because I do not see the other person throughout the day, in all manner of life situations.

However, on the other hand, some of what I just wrote is an excuse not to have to consider the opening questions that began today’s devotion. Does hanging around me have a similar effect?

I fear my “I cannot tell” is a cover up because I am concerned that the answer is really ‘no, not really’.

This is not good. I recall yesterday’s time in the Lord; be wise… make every opportunity… season conversation with grace. Maybe I am not living up to Paul’s injunction and my desires as best I can.

I believe I need to go into the ‘examination closet’ for some interior work…

How about you?  Does hanging around you help other people grow in Jesus?

Lord, it is too easy to close my devotional and get on with my day, in essence forgetting what we have been talking about this morning. I pray that will not be, but throughout today You will continue to speak with me about this and other areas of my life that need more maturity. Through Jesus, my Savior, I pray. Amen.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment