Monday, August 14: Ephesians 5- Find out what pleases the Lord.

Follow God’s example, therefore, as dearly loved children and walk in the way of love, just as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us as a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God.… and find out what pleases the Lord.… Therefore do not be foolish, but understand what the Lord’s will is (1-2, 10, 17).

This grouping of verses caught my attention. Together they call me to press into God’s way and to live into God’s example. 

I was particularly taken with verse 10; find out what pleases the Lord. As I pondered that thought it hit me, it is not always obvious to me what pleases the Lord. My corrupted human heart does not automatically lead me to God’s way. I must constantly be measuring my natural inclinations against God’s Word to see where I am in line and where I am out of line with the Lord and His way of love.

Diligence, exploration and even some trial and error are three descriptors that come to mind as I ponder the idea of finding out what pleases the Lord.

Diligence… I must work at this. Like a profession in any field, I must hone and develop habits. I need to spend the time to master the attitudes, to match my heart beat with the heartbeat of God.

Exploration… what pleases God will not come naturally to me. So I must explore new ways of living. God’s Word is full of new ways. The end of this chapter highlights a new way of marriage so different than the human way. I must explore God’s new ways.

Trial and error… this will mean I have to try new ways of living. I don’t expect that my initial forays into God’s new ways of living will always be correct or best. And as life changes and I enter new seasons, I will continually need to adapt and grow. Thinking about the example of marriage, loving my wife as Christ loved the church requires different actions and attitudes at different times. First married, with young children, with teen children, both working, empty nest, each season has its own actions that please the Lord.

I’m back to the words find out what pleases the Lord. What does that mean for me today? How should I act today in order to please the Lord?

This is a question I need to learn to ask myself daily, maybe even hourly….

Lord, I am yours, You bought me with the price of Jesus’ blood. I need the work of the Holy Spirit in me to live up to Your example of love and to find out what pleases You. Please grace me with Your Spirit that I might please You and live for You. I pray in Jesus’ name. Amen.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment