Wednesday, August 16: Philippians 1- Pondering suffering for the Lord.

Whatever happens, conduct yourselves in a manner worthy of the gospel of Christ. Then, whether I come and see you or only hear about you in my absence, I will know that you stand firm in the one Spirit, striving together as one for the faith of the gospel without being frightened in any way by those who oppose you. This is a sign to them that they will be destroyed, but that you will be saved—and that by God. For it has been granted to you on behalf of Christ not only to believe in him, but also to suffer for him, since you are going through the same struggle you saw I had, and now hear that I still have (27-30).

Paul seems to be saying to the Philippians that they are honored by Christ… and the honor is that they suffer for Him.

The concept of suffering for Jesus, as an honor, is so far from my thinking and experience, I am not even sure how to process this thought as I sit.

Yes, I spent 3 weeks in Nigeria this summer, but it was hardly suffering. Oh, there were lack of conveniences that I am used to –safe drinking water, A/C, healthy well balanced meals and other 1st world issues. When I got sick friends got me medicine within 24 hours and I was better in 48 hours, hardly suffering. And most of my summer has been a joy, eating produce from my wife’s vegetable garden, enjoying the beauty of our yard, having friends over to enjoy an evening swim in our pool, enjoying a 3-generation family trip in Europe. Honestly, I don’t know if I even understand ‘suffering for the Lord.’ In so many ways my life is so privileged.

As a pastor I can’t recall the last time I spoke on ‘suffering for Jesus.’ And that is probably because I haven’t.

I am struggling to know what to do with this idea of suffering for Jesus. I know we are not to go and look for suffering, as if it is a human work to earn God’s delight. The self-flagellation of ascetics in the past, I believe, is a distortion of the Gospel and a biblical understanding of suffering for Jesus.

My culture and country tolerates the Christian faith, so I am not hampered in any way from practicing my faith at home. Like I said, I am not sure I understand ‘suffering for the Lord.’

So here I sit this morning, wondering what to do with God’s Words on suffering… no answers; many questions.

Father, even as I struggle to understand this idea about suffering for Jesus, I know that Your presence is always a safe place. A place to be myself with all my failings… Your love, You say, covers a multitude of sins. I am so grateful for this. Lord, whisper those things I need to know about suffering. I will trust You and live for You, empowered by Your Spirit, as well as I can. If suffering comes my way, I pray for strength to honor You in the way I suffer. And if suffering is not in Your divine plan for my life, then I pray for strength to honor You in my life of blessing. Either way and every way I seek to honor You, my Lord and my God –Father, Jesus, Holy Spirit. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment