Monday, October 11: Ezra 10- Dealing with Dirty Stuff (part 2)

Since our last reading was Saturday, let me recap the Ezra 9 challenge. When dealing with the dirty stuff of life, we observed that honest, self-assessment and sincere, frank & heartfelt prayer/confession are the first two important stages.

The story continues in chapter 10. Ezra’s public confession, on behalf of the people, led to personal confession by the people as they gathered and wept and confessed, too. Since the sin is on going, personal confession is vital. Individuals must deal with their own sins. You must deal with your own sins and I must deal with my own sin.

I observe one more step in the process. After dealing with one’s own sin through confession, repenting of it and turning from it are necessary actions. In Israel’s case, it took months to deal with the pervasiveness of the sin throughout the land, but they did, clan by clan, family by family, until each family dealt with it personally.

What God highlights for me is even though true confession wipes the slate clean, we have to confront that part of ourselves that practice said sin, and by the grace of God, seek to rid ourselves of it through obedience. Only then have we honestly dealt with the dirty stuff of life…

More to think about…

Lord, addressing sin-filled behavior has been tougher for me than confessing it. Root causes harder to pull out than single sin-actions.  Help me, O Holy Spirit, to go deep with You… to give You reign in the deepest places of my life to deal with the depravity with in me. In Jesus’ name and that I may grow to be more and more like Him. Amen.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment