Thursday, October 28: Esther 2- What do you see

Esther’s rise to Queen of Persia is a story made for today’s reality TV. Orphan girl raised by her widower uncle (no mention of an aunt) is the back story. We could follow Esther as she keeps her heritage secret and becomes the favorite of Hegai, the contestant manager and beauty consultant. Just imagine the conversations among the contestants during that year!

Then out of all the beautiful contestants vying to chosen queen, Esther wins!

I can easily imagine Hollywood highlighting Esther’s amazing looks, wonderful charm and the breaks she made for herself along the way.

Maybe the story should be one of those hero/heroine stories? “Rudy,” “Invincible,” or “Blind Side” with a beauty pageant rather than football theme? Again, Esther’s orphan upbringing could be stressed invoking sympathy and showing how a person can overcome any obstacle. Esther could be portrayed as naïve and sheltered as she enters the contest and out blossoms this amazing beauty who wins. Then early on the job she saves the king, exposing the plot. With a little Hollywood makeover they could do it.

I played with the above plot possibilities because I realized that we can read this story simply from a human perspective.  Poor girl makes good, eventually saves the king (and this is only one chapter, just wait the story will grow). And yes, that is true, but…

But there is an unspoken layer, God. God orchestrating His saving will.

Reading this book it came to me that I make choices regularly to see or not see God’s hand at work in life… to recognize or not recognize God’s hand at work in my life…

I found myself looking back over my years and consciously paying attention to God’s providential and saving movements in, around and with me all my years…

O, God, thank You for being there for and with me. Thank You for working in my life even before I acknowledged You as Lord and God. Thank You for not giving up on me… thank You, thank You, thank You. In Jesus’ name I thank You. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment