Wednesday, October 13: Nehemiah 2- Courage, moving through fear to action

It is plainly obvious, after reading this chapter, why business-type people resonate with the book of Nehemiah. He is an entrepreneur with a call from God and a plan to move God’s plan ahead.

Any number of ‘getting-things-done’ lessons can be derived from this chapter.  For me, the Spirit’s nudge came at the top of the reading. Reminder, Nehemiah has wept, fasted and sought God’s blessing prior to this encounter with the king

In the month of Nisan in the twentieth year of King Artaxerxes, when wine was brought for him, I took the wine and gave it to the king. I had not been sad in his presence before; so the king asked me, "Why does your face look so sad when you are not ill? This can be nothing but sadness of heart." I was very much afraid, but I said to the king, "May the king live forever! Why should my face not look sad when the city where my fathers are buried lies in ruins, and its gates have been destroyed by fire?" The king said to me, "What is it you want?" Then I prayed to the God of heaven, and I answered the king… (1-5).

Interestingly, Nehemiah apparently wore his emotions on his sleeve, but the first phrase that energized my devotions was the end of verse 2, I was very much afraid. After all his spiritual preparation, Nehemiah was still afraid. Would God show up? Would the king be favorably disposed? He did not know. Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see (Hebrews 11:1). Nehemiah was relying on faith.  He did not know the outcome, only that God, apparently, had opened the door to speak.

I contemplated this.  How often do I allow fears to stop me from something I sense God would have me do? I sense a nudge to witness… fear… avoid. The nudge to speak up about a cause or situation… fear… avoid.

What Nehemiah did was step out in faith without being pushy. Then when invited by the king to say what he wants, Nehemiah, by his own admission, prays (likely a quick ‘help me kind of prayer”) and then he pushes through his fear to action, speaking the grand hope on his heart.

The king grants his request… God has been working unseen all the time… the exiles will get help they desperately need! God wins!

Nehemiah did not allow fear to stop him.  He pushed through his fear to do what he believed God would have him do! A great lesson to ponder throughout this day!!!

O, God, somewhere, sometime today, let me live this lesson, and so glorify You and practice what You are teaching and showing me in Your Word. In Jesus’ name. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment