Saturday, October 23: Nehemiah 11- Names, names, names.

Not much happens in this chapter. It is a chapter filled with the names of people selected to live in Jerusalem and repopulate it.

I read it once, thinking there is not much here but a list of names. I read it again paying more attention to the names and lineages, but again I thought, “Not much here but names.” I began to wonder, “God, what’s the nugget for today?” As that thought entered my thinking, I also thought, “My, there are a lot of names, names of people I don’t know, names I cannot pronounce.”

These two thoughts seemed to collide… “Ahhh, I thought these people may be unknown to me. Their names may be unpronounceable to me but not to God. The Lord saw fit to make sure their names are written in Scripture. God knew each one of these people intimately. He numbered the hairs on their heads and the days of their lives. These men and their families were precious to the Lord…”

A simple truth, but a wonderful one… God knows me. I am important to Him. He knows my name, the number of hairs on my head and the days of my years. God knows me intimately and my name is written in His family register!

This thought reminded me of a wonderful song by Tommy Walker, He Knows My Name, which goes like this:

I have a Maker
He formed my heart
Before even time began
My life was in his hands

I have a Father
He calls me His own
He'll never leave me
No matter where I go

He knows my name
He knows my every thought
He sees each tear that falls
And He hears me when I call

If you are connected to the internet, you may want to check out this YouTube of the song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBmtGSuw04Y.

God knows your name and God loves you. God knows my name and loves me.That’s what filled my meditations as I contemplated the names listed in Nehemiah 11.

Lord, my heart is filled, realizing that You, Lord God of heaven and earth, know me, care for me and love me. O, Lord, I can’t wait to gather with Your family and worship You tomorrow… See You tomorrow at worship, Lord… Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment