Tuesday, October 19: Nehemiah 7- More than the physical.

Yes, Jerusalem was in ruins.  Yes, the walls and gates needed to be rebuilt but rebuilding the people of God requires more than bricks and mortar. With the walls repaired and gates reinstalled, Jerusalem was physically safe. This allowed Nehemiah to focus on resurrecting the community of faith. Priests, temple workers, Levites and leaders need to be established and functioning.  Only then can the community reestablish their worship and sacrifice to the Lord God Almighty as prescribed in His word.

Most of the chapter is the verifying of appropriate lineages for priests and those who serve at the temple. Nehemiah was scrupulous in his observance of God’s laws.

It was verse 2 that caught my devotional heart. I put in charge … Hananiah the commander of the citadel, because he was a man of integrity and feared God more than most men do. Being commander of the citadel did not require a particular family bloodline but Nehemiah understood that it did have requirements. This person secured the city, gates were opened and closed at his command. Entrance to the city was granted through his leadership. Corruption here could mean the infiltration and capture of the entire city, so Nehemiah made his choice based on integrity… Hananiah was a man of integrity and feared God more than most men do.

Proverbs reminds us that the fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom (Pr 1:7, 9:10, 15:33). Integrity is being trustworthy and being the same person day and night, when people are looking and when they are not.

Only certain people could be priests.  Priesthood required a particular family lineage but everyone, all Christ-followers, can develop the fear of the Lord and integrity in their lives…

Lord, how am I doing with this? Lord, do I fear You?  Do I awe and revere You?  Do I recognize who You are??? And Lord, integrity, am I growing in integrity? These character traits honor You. Lead me, guide me, discipline me as needed to bring out these and other Christ-like qualities in my life… to You be the glory. Amen. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment