Wednesday, October 27: Esther 1- Life with no restraint

I found myself thinking about King Xerxes. He had absolutely no restraints. Whatever he wanted to do, he did. The opulence of the party: 7-day duration, the decorations, guest list, gold goblets and flowing wine. And when he makes a decision, it is law, period. No review, no check and balance.

When his wife, the queen, says ‘no’, she is deposed on the spot and a search for a new queen set in motion. Need it done, want it done… do it.

An ego run amuck.  A life without restraint.

I wondered what his life was like when the doors were closed? Was he content? Did he enjoy life? Was he satisfied? No way to know and my thoughts are merely projections of myself and any reading I may have done.

I flipped to God’s words through Paul. Everything is permissible but not everything beneficial (1Cor 6:12. 10:23). Then I pondered this self imposed restraint… and how it instructs life for one seeking to follow Jesus.

I thought again of Paul. I pummel my body… (1Cor 9:27) thinking again of how this instructs one seeking to follow Jesus. And more scripture flowed in my soul… “you are a new creation” (2Cor 5:17), take off the old and put on the new (Eph 4:24; Col 3:10 ) and so on.

No restraint sounds ideal on paper… but left to ourselves with no restraint, sin flourishes and lives are hurt.

O, Lord Jesus, thank You for sending the inner voice of the Holy Spirit, for teaching me right and wrong, for showing me Your way which develops godly restraint and seeks not to please self, but to live to please You –Father, Son and Holy Spirit. To You, O God, I pray in and through Jesus. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment