Monday, October 18: Nehemiah 6- Straining till completion

Chapter 6 resumes the narrative about the wall completion. The task is nearing conclusion and enemies advance again, hoping to stall the project. Their attacks turn personal.  First, they concoct lies to bring Nehemiah’s name into disrepute. Nehemiah stays strong.

Next they attempt a ruse to get Nehemiah to inappropriately use the temple, which again would bring him and his leadership into disrepute. Once more Nehemiah refuses the bait. … and the walls are rebuilt.

In verse 9 and 14 pop up two moments of prayer.  Those moments were so instructive for me. These prayers are neither formal nor lengthy (though admittedly they could be summaries of longer prayer times). What delights me and sparks my ‘God-thoughts’ for the morning is the ease and naturalness of the prayers.

V 9: They were all trying to frighten us, thinking, "Their hands will get too weak for the work, and it will not be completed." [But I prayed,] "Now strengthen my hands." Even as his enemies are slogging him with intimidation, his retelling drops in this simple prayer, Now strengthen my hands. And later as their second personal attack is being retold, Nehemiah slides into a narrative prayer at that time. V.14: Remember Tobiah and Sanballat, O my God, because of what they have done; remember also the prophetess Noadiah and the rest of the prophets who have been trying to intimidate me.

What stirs my soul about these two prayer moments is their naturalness. These are not formalized prayers but ‘in the moment’ prayers. And they speak to me about Nehemiah’s ongoing walk with the Lord. Nehemiah naturally thinks to pray and he does. Like two friends, when something comes up, they communicate. For Nehemiah, when something comes up, he chats with God.  That’s what encouraged me… the simplicity of a relationship with God.

O, Lord, that is what I want to cultivate in my life, an ongoing, everyday, no matter the issue, relationship with You. Lord, that is what I seek. I love You, Lord. Bless You, Father, Son and Holy Spirit. Bless You. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment