Friday, March 18: 2Chronicles 18- Effective witness

This chapter had a number of movements that caught my spiritual attention. The scene in the court of heaven is worthy of thought and meditation. The interplay of the Lord’s prophet and King Ahab is also worthy of contemplation. And there were more. But what invited me to meditate this morning was the dialogue between Jehoshaphat and Ahab as the chapter opens. Why does faithful Jehoshaphat have a relationship with the unfaithful Ahab?  I scratch my head. But he does,,  so I will leave it at that for today.

As I listen to the two men speak with each other I hear Jehoshaphat witnessing to the power of the Lord his God. Some of my observations and contemplations from verse 2- 7:

2 Some years later he went down to visit Ahab in Samaria. Ahab slaughtered many sheep and cattle for him and the people with him and urged him to attack Ramoth Gilead. If we are going to have an opportunity to witness to people who do not follow our God, then a good place to begin is building a relationship with them.

3-4 Ahab king of Israel asked Jehoshaphat king of Judah, "Will you go with me against Ramoth Gilead?" Jehoshaphat replied, "I am as you are, and my people as your people; we will join you in the war." But Jehoshaphat also said to the king of Israel, "First seek the counsel of the LORD." In our relationship with our non-believing friends, we have to let our faith shine through in what we say and do. We cannot hide our faith from others and then hope to have opportunities to share our faith. Jehoshaphat asks to seek the counsel of the Lord because that is his usual routine in kingly matters. He is living his faith as usual.

5-6 So the king of Israel brought together the prophets--four hundred men--and asked them, "Shall we go to war against Ramoth Gilead, or shall I refrain?" "Go," they answered, "for God will give it into the king's hand." But Jehoshaphat asked, "Is there not a prophet of the LORD here whom we can inquire of?" Not everything spiritual is of the Lord. Jehoshaphat understands this. And when he seeks the Lord he wants the Lord’s prophets not counterfeits. As a pastor I am asked to pray in public and at public events. I pray in Jesus’ name because that is how I pray. When invited to pray with nonbelievers I pray in Jesus’ name. Jehoshaphat knows these prophets are not from the Lord and he won’t accept spiritual guidance from them.  He wants a prophet of the Lord. In this simple act, Jehoshaphat offers a subtle yet powerful witness.

7 The king of Israel answered Jehoshaphat, "There is still one man through whom we can inquire of the LORD, but I hate him because he never prophesies anything good about me, but always bad. He is Micaiah son of Imlah." "The king should not say that," Jehoshaphat replied. With his reply Jehoshaphat witnesses again to Ahab. How? By correcting the king, not harshly, not indignantly, but casually correcting so that Ahab should not defame Micaiah, prophet of the Lord, for what he says. Again, as we read on, it is obvious that this correction isn’t confrontational. Ahab receives it.  You can almost see him nodding his head ‘yes.’ He may not believe it but he understands and gets it. In our conversations with non-believing friends do we let defense of the Lord or His ways slide? Jehoshaphat’s conversation with Ahab suggests they are fertile moments for witness, if handled correctly.

Lord, thank You for this glimpse into an appropriate witness to You. Help me to be more effective in my witness to You. In Jesus’ name. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment