Saturday, March 26: 2Chronicles 25- Not wholeheartedly

My eyes lit on verse 2 as I began reading. As the events of the chapter unfolded, the words of verse 2 clung to my heart. Amaziah did what was right in the eyes of the LORD, but not wholeheartedly. It was those final two words the glued to my thoughts… not wholeheartedly.

Yes, they characterized Amaziah whose life seemed to be parceled into two distinct sections, faithful and unfaithful. Yet it wasn’t long before those two words, not wholeheartedly, hung like a mirror over my own life. I realized that they likely characterized my life as well. What about you?

I replaced Amaziah’s name with my own and stared at the new verse 2: Bill did what was right in the eyes of the LORD, but not wholeheartedly. Sadly they seemed to fit. Unlike Amaziah, my life wasn’t compartmentalized into two sections. Instead my life looked more like a garden with flowers bursting forth in many places. Yet scattered throughout were ugly weeds, pernicious, invasive, and always seeming about to take over if I don’t constantly root them out.

Again I ask… how about you?

These thoughts ushered me into prayer…

O, God, forgive me and my lack of wholeheartedness. Forgive my sin –which is many- and purify me from all unrighteousness (1John 1:9). Cleanse me that I might be whiter than snow; and do not take Your Holy Spirit from me (Ps 51).

Lord Jesus, help me tackle and control the impulses to sin so that I might live wholeheartedly for You, the Father and the Spirit. In Your name I pray. Amen.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment