Tuesday, March 1: 2Chronicles 3- Extravagant building, extravagant giving

I have spent 20 minutes trying to imagine what the Temple was really like. According to verse 8 over a billion dollars of gold (present day value) was used in the building of the Temple.  That’s a lot of gold! More difficult for me to imagine was the inside of the Temple covered completely in gold.  What did it look like? How did the room shine when lit by candles? I struggle to picture it… light dancing off all of the gold.

Nails of gold (9), huge cherubim of gold… nothing but the best for his God.

Now, I imagine, too, that there were voices crying, “Solomon, slow down, think about all you could do and build with this wealth. Are you sure you want to put it into the Temple?” The more I think about this the more I suspect that there were more than a few voices suggesting alternative uses for all this wealth.

Questions began to pop into my thoughts, questions calling me to think deeply about my giving…

Do I give my best to the Lord?... monetarily, time-wise?

Do I give extravagantly or safely to the Lord?

Do I listen to the voice of the Spirit regarding use of my wealth or do I listen to alternative voices who may be well meaning but not God focused?

Lord God, week after week I sing songs pledging my all to You. I mean it, Lord, I do. But at the same time I also need serious deposits of Your Spirit to help me give myself -in real and practical ways- to You with extravagance and love. Come, Holy Spirit, fill me that all I have might be for God’s glory. In Jesus’ name. Amen.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment