Thursday, March 31: 2Chronicles 29- Keeping the word alive.

As I read about Hezekiah, I found myself wondering how did he know what the Lord required? How did he know what to do to live faithfully before the Lord? How did he know all this? For 16 years as king, his father had led Judah away from the Lord. It seems reasonable to assume that Ahaz lived a faithless life prior to his coronation as well.  That means that Ahaz’s influence on Hezekiah was negative and faithless from the day of birth. Again I ask, how did Hezekiah know how to live faithfully before the Lord?

As I watched Hezekiah reestablish God-honoring worship and devotion to the Lord, as I listened to the priests respond positively to his leadership, that question nagged in the back of my mind. As I concluded my reading and delighted in the joy expressed in verse 36: Hezekiah and all the people rejoiced at what God had brought about for his people, because it was done so quickly. I continued to wonder…

I found no specific answer in the text, yet somehow the Lord maintained His word within the community of Judah.

My thoughts bounded to my life and the thought came, how important it is that I (we) keep God’s Word alive for coming generations? The word of God is essential.  Without it we are left to our own thoughts.  Only God’s Word can give us God’s thoughts.

O, Lord,it is essential that I keep my nose in Your book, that I live it, grow my life around it, and make it the guiding influence for the living of my days. Lord, beyond that how can I keep the nose of succeeding generations in Your book?  It is good to talk about Your Book but it is essential we not only listen to what others say about You and Your Book but that we immerse ourselves in Your book.  Reading, listening, spending time in Your Book needs to be personal.

Help me, Jesus, to stay grounded in Your Word and to use my influence on others to encourage them to remain grounded in Your Word as well. In Your name, Jesus. Amen.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment