Thursday, March 10: 2Chronicles 11- Seeking, faithfulness and vigilance

A few things struck me as I read today’s chapter.

First, Reheboam listened to the Lord (4) but he didn’t consult the Lord. God reached out to Reheboam and spoke to him through the prophet but there is no indication that Reheboam sought God. Many times in my life that is all too true of me. I ‘forget’ or neglect to seek God’s advice, yet God, in His providential care and love, speaks to me first. I am so thankful that the Lord desires and initiates communication with me.

O, Lord, I don’t want to loose touch with You. I want to stay connected with You.  Lord, I am thankful that when I separate or disappear, You pursue me. Thank You, Lord. I love You.

Another thing I noticed was that priests and Levites, choosing to be faithful to the Lord, came to Jerusalem (13-14). That provides a powerful picture of faithfulness to me. These men and their families uprooted themselves, left their land and friends so that they could remain faithful to God…

Lord, may I be as faithful as these priests and Levites, being willing to move, change locations and do what is necessary in order to demonstrate my faithfulness to You and to others.

Finally, I noticed an ominous sign in verse 17. Speaking of the priests and Levites who came to Jerusalem the text says, They strengthened the kingdom of Judah and supported Rehoboam son of Solomon three years, walking in the ways of David and Solomon during this time. The 3-year proviso causes me to wonder if there is unfaithfulness ahead. This reminds me how easily I (and anyone) can slip from the Lord toward unfaithfulness, which in turn causes me to think about vigilance in my faithfulness to the Lord…

Lord, I renew my pledge of love and faithfulness to You… In Jesus’ name. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment