Monday, March 14: 2Chronicles 14- Seeking the Lord.

The Chronicler begins telling the life of Asa, King of Judah, with a brief summary of Asa’s life. Asa did what was good and right in the eyes of the LORD his God. He removed the foreign altars and the high places, smashed the sacred stones and cut down the Asherah poles. He commanded Judah to seek the LORD, the God of their fathers, and to obey his laws and commands. He removed the high places and incense altars in every town in Judah, and the kingdom was at peace under him. He built up the fortified cities of Judah, since the land was at peace. No one was at war with him during those years, for the LORD gave him rest (2-6).

I was particularly attracted to the comment that Asa commanded Judah to seek the LORD,…, and to obey his laws and commands. It was the idea that he commanded Judah to seek the Lord that provided fuel for my meditations today. I recall with Reheboam that God spoke to him and I remember commenting that Reheboam didn’t seek God he only listened when God spoke. Asa apparently recognized the dangers of the ‘wait for God to speak’ life and taught (literally commanded) Judah to go to God first.  He was to seek God and what He would say on a matter instead of waiting to see if God says anything.

Asa presents a very different fabric for life. Seek God and God’s direction along with God’s help and guidance.  Don’t merely wait for Him to initiate contact.

Do you have a decision to make?  Are you at a crossroad with multiple paths before you? Seek God… that would be Asa’s response.

As you wake up in the morning, what do you do first? Seek the Lord… that would be Asa’s response.

You are tired and ready to drop into bed.  What is the last thing you do? Seek God, thank Him for the day, ask His blessing on the day to come… that would be Asa’s response.

Asa commanded Judah to be proactive in their relationship with the Lord. Don’t simply wait for the Lord to speak, seek Him.  Go to Him regularly, often and first.

That’s a practical way to live. I would like to think that is how I live.  Maybe I do at times but truthfully, I often act on my thoughts and wait to see if God comments about my decision…

And this means I have some more meditating to do: meditating on how I can better incorporate Asa’s call to seek the Lord into my living. How about you?

Lord, as I start my day I specifically ask You to Lead me. I intentionally ask You to direct my steps, my phone calls, my priorities today… And Lord teach me to live this way throughout the day and into my tomorrows. In Jesus name. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment