Friday, November 11: 2Corinthians 2- Restoration

Many believe that Paul’s words in verses 1-11, and particularly 5-11, are a continuing discussion of the immoral brother from 1Corinthians 5 who Paul instructed should be expelled from the church. Assuming this to be true, the immoral brother once expelled, came to his senses and apparently sought forgiveness and restoration. The expulsion, which was intended to be redemptive, worked as hoped.

This begs the question, how do we handle things when someone repents and seeks restoration back into the church or back into a relationship? Verse 7 shows the way: Now instead, you ought to forgive and comfort him, so that he will not be overwhelmed by excessive sorrow.

Forgive and comfort…

Jesus forgave Peter after Peter denied him during the torturous hours of Jesus’ final night. And upon resurrection, Jesus intentionally reached out to Peter (Mark 16:7) so that Peter would be sure to come back to Jesus and not wallow in his defeat.

Paul instructs the church to live what Jesus would do…

Having pondered the situation of the text, I quieted myself and listened for the Spirit’s voice. As common with me, questions began to float in my thoughts. Am I forgiving or do I like it when those who hurt me stew in their own juices even after they repent and ask for forgiveness? Do I go the extra mile to comfort those who hurt me and repent so that he/she will not be overwhelmed by excessive sorrow?

Honestly, I am not above letting them stew a bit, even sometimes helping them stew a bit. However, God is showing me this morning how wrong I am to do that and to live that way. Ouch!

Where is God taking you in His word today? Was it to a similar place He took me or did God have a different and unique message for you?

Oh, Lord, thank You for showing me those rough spots in my life. I beg You, please, help me grow so that the rough spots become smooth and I emulate Your life, Jesus, more and more in mine. Amen.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment