Wednesday, November 2: Isaiah 60- Light into the darkness

The chapter begins, "Arise, shine, for your light has come, and the glory of the LORD rises upon you. See, darkness covers the earth and thick darkness is over the peoples, but the LORD rises upon you and his glory appears over you. Nations will come to your light, and kings to the brightness of your dawn (1-3). The image of light took me back to words from Isaiah 9.2,6:

The people walking in darkness have seen a great light; on those living in the land of the shadow of death a light has dawned. … For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders. And he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.

I sit and it is pitch black outside in my back yard, a cloud covered night.  I can barely see my hand in front of my face. I cannot make out one feature of my back deck, much less my yard. Travel, work, safety would be precarious at best. Darkness is fraught with danger when there is no source of light.

Martin Luther reminds us that “our world with devils filled threatens to undo us.” Life is filled with pitfalls and dangers. But God’s promise of light is a way through the treacheries of life.

Jesus, the light of the world, the child promised in Isaiah 9, and the servant of the Lord from the latter chapters of Isaiah, is God’s Light. Jesus will lead us back to the Father. His gift of forgiveness and restored relationship with God, the Father, is the Glory of the Lord that has risen upon us!

Take a few minutes today and consider your relationship with God through faith in Jesus Christ. Do you believe in Jesus? Have you put your faith in Jesus as Savior and Lord of your life? Are you walking and following Jesus? He is the light of the world and whoever follows Him will never walk in darkness (John 8:12).

Jesus, thank You for revealing God’s light to me. Please send the Holy Spirit so that I, with courage and determination, will follow You, serve You and love You, to the glory of God, the Father. In Your name, I pray. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment