Saturday, November 5: Isaiah 63- Return of the King.

Tomorrow I will gather with my church family and we will come to the Lord’s Table. There, in the Bread and Cup, we will remember what Jesus did for us when he died on the Cross for our sins, offering us atonement. His life and flesh and blood were given for mine. Taken by itself, crucifixion is a brutal picture.  However, when it is understood in light of the sacrifice Jesus, God’s son and my Lord, made for me and all who believe in Him, it fills me with gratitude… the amazing gift Jesus gave.

As I stand at the Table, I also realize again that sin –my sin, your sin, our sin- has a penalty and must not be taken lightly. Sin earns judgment. Believing in Jesus and acknowledging his payment for my sins lifts the burden and wrath of sin. But without faith in Jesus, the guilt of sin remains and judgment will come…

These are the thoughts which coursed through my heart and mind as I read the opening of Isaiah 63. Garments dipped in blood, wrath poured out, battle fought, wicked judged and given their deserved penalty… this is no pretty sight.

The return of the king has two distinct outcomes. For his people the king’s return is a time of joy and dancing and triumph and praise. But for those who stood opposed to him it is a time of wrath, punishment and death.

I invite you, on behalf of Jesus, to choose life, choose Jesus, to acknowledge him Lord and God of your life and live. Otherwise the opening of Isaiah 63 is your date with destiny. Think about it…

Lord, reveal Yourself to those who do not yet believe that they may choose You and choose life. In Jesus’ name, I pray. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment