Monday, November 21: 2Corinthians 10- Surface or substance?

You are looking only on the surface of things. These words from verse 7 started wheels turning within.  How often I live on the surface alone, not asking or observing the deeper things. I realize this is a bit of a bounce off of the text, but I seemed to hear God saying look below, contemplate deeply the life you live.

I am so blessed, my family is healthy and we all get along. There are no real tensions that prick at us. How often I pass over this, missing how blessed we are by the Lord. By not pausing to think on these things, I miss seeing the mighty hand of God at work. I think that is what the Lord wants me to realize today. His hand is so great!  Thank You, Lord.

Even though I read God’s Word daily, I can go through seasons where I forget to ponder the wonder of a God who would put His Word into written form so that I, and fellow believers, might have His Word with us. What a treasure God’s Word is and yet sometimes I take it for granted. And I take the fact that I can read and I have finances such that I can purchase a Bible for granted. This pops into my mind as yet another thing God wants me to realize today… God is so good.  Thank You, Lord.

And so it seems, Lord, that You want me to slow down and think deeply about life and to stop rushing from thing to thing, activity to activity.  This constant rush of life, in which I generally find myself, allows me only enough time to look at the surface of things alone.  And I am all the poorer because I don’t take the time to think deeply…

Lord, this is a surprising word, thank You. Now please help me to slow my internal motor so that I take time to think and ponder.  And in so doing, see the wonder of Your hand at work in my life and in the world around me. In Jesus’ name. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment