Friday, November 18: 2Corinthians 8- Finish the work.

Intentions do not always match execution, at least that is true for me. I want, desire, even speak that I will do this or that, and then I never quite complete it. My actions do not always match my heart…

Apparently it was so for the Corinthians as well. They pledged to give to the needs of others, but were lagging in collecting and sending their pledged offering. So Paul writes: Now finish the work, so that your eager willingness to do it may be matched by your completion of it, according to your means (11).

Finish the work… those were the first words to attach to my heart. When God puts a good thought in my (your) mind or heart…do it! (At this point God reminded me of a promise to pray for someone and encourage them by email, so I paused to do it as part of my morning time with God).

And that is very much the point the Spirit is hammering into my soul… do what you say you will do. Do the things God prompts you to do. Follow through, finish the work…

My thoughts drifted back to the text and the context which is about giving… finish the work,give what God put in your heart to give…

Lord, are there promises I have made or impulses I have entertained -promises and impulses that honor You and advance Your kingdom that is- that I have not completed. Help me, Lord, to be a man of my word, a man who finishes what I have pledged, promised and spoken.

God, I can be lax., I need the Holy Spirit to give me the ‘follow through’ when I lack it in my human nature. To be true to You…to honor You in all I say and DO… this is my prayer.  Prayed in Jesus’ name. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment