Friday, November 4: Isaiah 62- New Names.

As I read this chapter, I kept asking God what’s here for me to grab onto devotionally. Spirit speak to me. After reading the chapter I went through it again. The second time, as with the first, the closing verse drew my attention.

Verse 12: They will be called the Holy People, the Redeemed of the LORD; and you will be called Sought After, the City No Longer Deserted.

I found myself thinking about the 4 names… applying them to myself. Thinking about what God might be saying by calling His people, calling me, by these names.

Holy People: a set-apart-for-God people. That’s a rich name… being set apart for God is an honor. What a calling!

Redeemed of the Lord: the Lord cares for us so much He redeemed us, He rescued, He ransomed us. I found myself wondering why God would do that for me. What does God see in me? I found myself sitting in awe of God and His graciousness toward me.

Sought After: my first thought was God seeking after me or others… I bounced to what are the things people seek after….valuable things, meaningful things, important things… that’s what people seek after. God was saying that ‘we’, His people, are valuable, meaningful and important to Him. Amazement dawned as I thought about God saying He sought after me (you, us). God seeking after me… humbling.

No longer deserted: at first I thought that this is an odd name, more powerful in the original context as God spoke earlier about His judgment of Jerusalem. Now He was restoring their dignity. God restoring dignity… that became my mediation point. It is a name of blessing, God would take that which was once empty and fill it up. I began thinking about how Jesus has filled my life with the presence and wonder of God.

Before I prayed, I sat awed by what God thinks of His people… what God thinks of me. Another set of names came to mind from 1Peter 2:9: But you are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people belonging to God, that you may declare the praises of him who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light.

Lord, I pray that the names You have given me (us) would lead me to live more vitally and intentionally for You… that I would declare Your praises and Your good news to those I meet… I pray this in Jesus’ name. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment