Friday, November 25: Matthew 1- How to make a godly decision.

It is refreshing for me to be back in the NT.  Advent begins Sunday so it is doubly good to be reading one of the Gospels of Jesus.

For some reason I connected with Joseph as he had an agonizing decision to make.  How should he deal with an apparently unfaithful betrothed? Watching Joseph, I saw a godly man navigating decision highway.

Step 1: integrity & righteousness. Joseph lived his life in light of his faith in God and over the years he developed personal characteristics that honor God.  Verse 19 reads: Because Joseph, her husband, was a righteous man and did not want to expose her to public disgrace, he had in mind to divorce her quietly. As he considered his options, he weighed his options against general God-honoring living.

Step 2: he remained open to God’s voice and leading. His mind set on one godly course, Joseph remained open to the Holy Spirit, listening for God’s leading and direction. In this case the Spirit showed him another course to follow. Verse 20, But after he had considered this, an angel of the Lord appeared to him in a dream and said, "Joseph, son of David, do not be afraid to take Mary home as your wife, because what is conceived in her is from the Holy Spirit.

Step 3: obedience. Joseph obeyed the voice and direction of God. Verse 24 records, When Joseph woke up, he did what the angel of the Lord had commanded him and took Mary home as his wife. This step comes as no surprise since obedience is the faith-filled response God desires from those who will follow Him.

Reviewing these steps, #2 –remaining open to God’s voice and leading is crucial for me. I have spent years working to grow in godliness. I am far from perfect but it has been a many year pursuit for me. I would like to think that with this important decision I seek to do the godly thing. Where I falter is that once I come to a course of action, I can lock in on my decision rather than remain open to the continual leading of the Spirit. Turning off listening to and for God’s voice, is never good…

Lord, thank You for this word and direction this morning.  Please help me to take it to heart and to build this pattern into my life. Lord, I want to be a man who pleases You with my life and in my decisions. Following your lead is key. Amen.

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment