Tuesday, November 22: 2Corinthians 11- What are your boasts

Boasting, we all do it. Some of us may be braggadocios, boasting and bragging about most things. We may even be bombastic, loud and obnoxious in our boasting and bragging. Others of us are more quiet, even reserved, but touch on certain subjects and we, too, will boast.

People boast about cars and homes –possessions. Others boast about universities attended or degrees earned. Job titles and athletic prowess are other common sources of boasting. Parents boast about their kids… ‘my daughter has lead in the school play,’ ‘little Johnny sleeps through the night and he is only 6 weeks old.’ We can and often do boast about things…

Paul makes a fascinating statement about boasting. If I must boast, he writes, I will boast of the things that show my weakness (30). And so he boasts about beatings and hardship and trials…

How radically different Paul was. He truly marched to the beat of a different drum.

I wondered about Paul’s comment, I will boast of the things that show my weakness. What’s the deal with that? I have read the Scriptures enough times so that I know where he is going. He will boast in his weakness because when he is weak, God is strong.

I am fascinated and spurred on by how Christ-centered Paul really is. What motivates him is whatever gives most glory and honor to God.

Boasting generally seeks to bring honor to the boast-er, but not Paul. Even in his boasting, he seeks to bring honor to the Lord. Wow, I have so much still to learn about living for God’s honor and glory all the time…

O, Lord, I have so much to learn, so many places in my life to grow. Continue to work with me.  Continue to challenge me through Your Word. I pray this through my Savior Jesus; in His name. Amen.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment