Friday, November 9: Naham 1- Mercy and Truth.

One of the constant balances that I have to maintain as I read my Bible and study God’s Word and Ways is mercy (love or grace) and truth (justice or judgment). God is both. And He is both at the same time. This is difficult for me to comprehend and I have to continuously work at it.

This balancing act emerged yet again in Naham 1:3: The LORD is slow to anger and great in power; the LORD will not leave the guilty unpunished. His way is in the whirlwind and the storm, and clouds are the dust of his feet.

God is both slow to anger (mercy) yet He will not leave the guilty unpunished. How can that be?

As I ponder these attributes of God, I take them both to heart. Over and over I have been the recipient of God’s love, grace and mercy. My sins God regularly forgives. God blesses when my walk in Him is unsteady and God is always approachable no matter where I have been or what I have done recently. Love, grace, mercy in abundance.

On the other hand, it is easy for me to presume upon God’s love, grace and mercy and to become lackadaisical and lazy in my pressing ahead for good and God. It is at those times that I find pondering God’s truth, justice and judgment an able antidote for my laziness! I need these reminders as much as I need God’s grace, mercy and love.

I still do not understand how mercy and truth live together perfectly in God.  However, I am full of praise and wonder that they do…

Praise to the One who loves unconditionally. Praise to the One who’s justice is right. Praise to the Lord, the Almighty, the King of Creation! Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment