Friday, October 12: Acts 12 - Do you believe in miracles?.

What a fun story and I believe every word of it. I don’t presume to understand why God leads Peter to safety and allows James to die by the sword. God apparently has His reasons and the saving of one person does not require God to save another in a similar situation. God, after all, is God and one thing I know is that I am not.

Back to Peter’s miraculous escape… I love all the details. The ‘get up and put your clothes on’ kind of details. For me it is not only a great miracle, it is full of those little details that only Peter could fill in.

Some people I am sure wonder about this story. Is it real? Does God really do these kinds of things? Ultimately the way one answers this question is a faith answer. You either believe in miracles or you do not. I do…

I sat one day listening to a Nigerian tell me about his miraculous escape from prison. The story has all the flavor of Peter’s account. This man, a highly educated fellow, was imprisoned because he converted to Christianity from Islam. Execution was his next day-appointment, until a young girl showed up in the middle of the night and lead him out through locked doors and past guards and out into the woods. When the path divided she pointed in one direction and said, ‘Run’. As he began running, he looked back and she was gone!

I know this story is no easier to believe than Peter’s.  If you doubt one, you likely doubt the other. That’s fair. I get it.

I know the Nigerian fellow and I trust the Scriptures… I believe.

And if you don’t today, I hope you will some day.

Lord, thank You for entering our world in these ‘God-only-could-do-this-sort-of-thing’ ways. Praise You, Lord. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment