Wednesday, October 10: Acts 10 - Being stretched.

God has a way of stretching us, pulling us and dragging us to new faith places. I thought about Peter, a simple Jewish fisherman. The changes in his life, that this chapter represents, is staggering!

Self-respecting Jews never associate with Gentiles. Fisherman from small villages probably didn’t travel much and certainly not in the company of Roman soldiers. And yet God was expecting both of Peter. And the Jewish-Gentile divide was huge. Think black-white in the deep south of the 1800’s. Think Hatfields and McCoys. This was such a huge divide that God had to give Peter a dream about eating unclean food in order to set him up to even travel with the soldier and servants. This was a serious life change for Peter. I now realize how true it is that God does not show favoritism but accepts men from every nation who fear him and do what is right (34-35).

It was a serious moment for the church, too.

I began to wonder about life changes God may want to see in me. I thought about human prejudices that life and upbringing and culture have formed into me. These were not pleasant thoughts and I am quite sure that I can only skim the surface of my life. I am sure there are others –many others- buried under layers of life that I do not at this time yet see…

Oh God, stretch me… push me, prod me, drag me, if necessary, to face the prejudices I carry. Lord, I pray this for my sake and for the sake of the church of which I am a part. Teach me the truth Peter learned: that You do not show favoritism but accept men from every nation who fear Him and do what is right. Amen.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment