Saturday, October 13: Acts 13 - The centrality of Jesus.

 

This chapter records a first for the church, the first time the church sent its people out to new places to spread the message and way of Jesus.

Obedient to the direction of the Holy Spirit, Barnabas and Paul set out from city to city preaching the story and teachings of Jesus. Luke, who is recounting the adventures of Barnabas and Paul, provides rich detail about their method and preaching content when he captures the duo’s time in Pisidian Antioch. Paul, the main speaker of the pair, is given an opportunity to teach on the Sabbath in the synagogue. Paul gives a brief history of the Jews, all the while leading to Jesus and His atoning death. Paul’s conclusion spoke volumes to me: Therefore, my brothers, I want you to know that through Jesus the forgiveness of sins is proclaimed to you. Through him everyone who believes is justified from everything you could not be justified from by the law of Moses (38-39).

The heart of the Gospel is Jesus and what He did for us when He died on the cross… forgiveness and justification for all who believe in Him!

A deep sense of thankfulness and appreciation for Jesus and all He has done and continues to do for me swept over me. I sat in the stillness thanking God for Jesus.

The centrality of Jesus and His atoning death was the key place all Paul’s preaching led to. I found myself saddened, even angry, by many in the modern church who seek to minimize Jesus’ atoning death and resurrection. No! I want to shout to them, Jesus’ death is the key gift that gains us forgiveness and justification… Jesus’ death is the gift that reconnects us with God the Father!

Have you put your faith and trust in Jesus?...

Oh God, may I never stray from Jesus… His gospel message and the forgiveness found in His death and resurrection! Amen.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment