Friday, March 15: Exodus 14-How do I react in a crisis.

You are marching to freedom with all your belongings plus the silver, gold and other objects given to you by the Egyptians. Your spirits are soaring, God has just orchestrated your deliverance! All of a sudden you hear the pounding of hooves, you look up and you realize you are in trouble. A sea stands in front of you and the Egyptian army is gaining on you from the rear. What do you do?

The Israelites spiral into whining and self pity. Verse 11 astonishes me, the Israelites said to Moses, "Was it because there were no graves in Egypt that you brought us to the desert to die? What have you done to us by bringing us out of Egypt?”

When I read those words I wondered, why do we go there? The Israelites did what we humans so often do… they whine and pass blame. They could have spent time crying out to God for help and then waited to see what God would do. But no, at the first moment of pain, hardship, and trial, they dissolve into a pity party.

People who never think or speak about God, cry out, ‘Why did God do this to me?’, the moment a crisis arises.

Did the Israelites think the road to freedom would be smooth sailing with no hardship or faith required?

Do we think that following Jesus will be smooth sailing and all sunshine with no hardship or faith required?

When the situation isn’t what I hope or expect, what do I do? Do I whine against God? Do I take matters in my own hands and ‘figure something out?’ Do I pray to the Lord and ask God for direction, guidance or deliverance? Does my response show faith in God or in myself? Do I whine like a spoiled child or put my trust in the Lord Almighty?

These are the faith questions tumbling through my devotions this morning…

Lord, following You means just that… following, trusting, seeking, loving, serving, You. I pray for strength to follow You obediently and closely. In Jesus’ name, I pray. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment