Tuesday, March 5: Exodus 5- When God's plan leads us to pain.

We want things to be perfect, to be neat, clean and tidy. We want life without pain. We want Camelot where it only rains at night.

God’s people cry for deliverance from a hard and oppressive life. Moses is called to be God’s answer. Israelite leadership meets and buys in, “Yep, God wants us delivered.” Pharaoh is confronted and he makes the pain and heartache worse for God’s people. That is not how we want the story to go!

I wondered how many Israelites died from the cruelty and harshness of Pharaoh as he put the screws to the Israelites?

We want the ‘Disney ending’ and ‘happily ever after’ in chapter one.

I do not know what God was thinking and why He allowed the road to deliverance to be paved with so much pain and sacrifice… but this is some of what I was thinking and musing upon.

How much am I willing to sacrifice to see God’s ultimate deliverance in Jesus Christ accomplished here on earth? How much would I sacrifice to see disciples made to the ends of the earth?

Would I remain faithful to Jesus if my lot in God’s plan was to endure suffering, pain, oppression, even death as God worked out His salvation plan?

I don’t like when these questions pop up in my thoughts. I wonder is God setting me up for another stage in life or are they ruminations of someone who has a martyr complex?

What I determine to do is live faithfully for Jesus day after day and see where faithfulness to my Lord takes me.

Spirit, lead me today to do the things You have for me to do today.  Plant seeds of spiritual faithfulness in me today that will mature and be ready to bear fruit when You call me to do something I am not capable of doing today. This is my pray, prayed in and through Jesus, my Lord. Amen.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment