Friday, March 8: Exodus 8- God's in control.

The Lord is doing something mighty. As I read today’s chapter I could feel the intensity of confrontation building and the name of the Lord was ‘growing.’

The chapter began with the plague of frogs, which like the other plagues so far, the magicians of Egypt could reproduce with their magic arts (7). I always wonder why the magicians felt good that they could reproduce the plague. Weren’t they just intensifying the pain? Shouldn’t they have tried to stop the plague to show their strength?

Next came gnats, which the magicians could not mimic! Intensity grows, just listen to the magicians response. "This is the finger of God" (19). And yet Pharaoh still hardened his heart and said ‘no’.

Next came flies. And for the first time God makes a distinction between His people and the Egyptians (23). This plague will not happen to the people of God living in Goshen!

Now God is really making His point. Pharaoh almost gives in, but when the plague is lifted Pharaoh changes his mind and hardens his heart.

God is setting things up for His glory to be broadcast across the entire Middle East.

I sat and meditated on the majesty of God. God is not phased by the magicians and their puny magic arts, thinking they could compete with Him. He just increased His might and they recognized God was in a different league.

God was not phased by Pharaoh’s reluctance. God just turned up the heat.

Things were progressing according to God’s plan. God is in total control.

I may not understand everything that goes on in the world, but God is still in total control…

Thanks be to You, O God. You are the Lord. You are sovereign. Lord, are there any ways, intentional or unintentional, in my life that I am trying to compete with you? Am I hardening my heart against You? Search me, Oh Lord, and show me. Because I want to live for You and not ever against You. Through Jesus, my Savior. Amen.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment