Tuesday, March 12: Exodus 11- God makes a distinction.

As chapter 10 ends, Pharaoh is ordering Moses from his presence never to return. Before Moses leaves God speaks with him and through him to Pharaoh one last time. Chapter 11 is God’s final word to Pharaoh… Death of all first born throughout Egypt…human and cattle!

What struck me as I read chapter 11 was the contrast in sounds between the Egyptian and Hebrew homes that night. There will be loud wailing throughout Egypt--worse than there has ever been or ever will be again (6). I tried to hear in my mind’s ear what that sounded like…. every family struck with death at the same time. Mothers and fathers wailing. Brothers and sisters weeping… all at the same time. My heart ached at the pain.

The Hebrews experienced something very different… the silence of contentment, the silence of everyone enjoying restful sleep, a contented deep sleep. Even the Hebrew animals slept soundly. But among the Israelites not a dog will bark at any man or animal' (7a).

God even tells Pharaoh why things will be this way; the ‘you’ in 7b refers to Pharaoh. Then you will know that the LORD makes a distinction between Egypt and Israel (7b). God is putting an exclamation mark on His words to Pharaoh.

I am the Lord! I do as I will and you who think you are a man-god have defied me and you will pay! I alone am Lord and God and Almighty. You will never forget this and even more through your insolence the world will know that I am the Lord!

And so Moses and Aaron left Pharaoh’s presence to await the deliverance the Lord promised!

I thought… the Lord God remains on the throne. He alone is the only Lord God Almighty and we disciples of Jesus Christ still await the final deliverance the Lord has promised.

Thank You, Lord… thank You! Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment