Friday, February 7: Judges 9- Everyone for himself.

The account of chapter 9 is a wild-west story with people doing what they please. There is no mention of God. No oppression from the outside and yet the chapter is filled with murder and intrigue and killing of innocent people…all manner of human aggression.

Throughout my reading I kept saying to myself, this is life without restraint. This is life without the Lord. And sadly this is a story of God’s own people.

The atrocities and deceit of this chapter gave me a good look into the inner life of brother human beings whose lives have not been tempered and redeemed by God.

This chapter shows me where human life goes without the Lord. It is an ugly picture, one I see played out on the news screens and articles every day.

Some wonder why we need a Savior. Today’s reading is one answer to that question…

Jesus, thank You for saving me. Reading about how wicked we can be, beckons me to pray. Cleanse me, Lord. Root out the selfish wickedness that resides in me, due to the fall, so that I do not spiral down into living like this. Forgive me for my wrongs and also empower me to tell people about You so that You can save and redeem them, too. I pray in Jesus’ name. Amen.

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment