Monday, February 3: Judges 5- Songs of faith.

All the while I was reading this song, I kept thinking. Deborah is memorializing God’s great victory in song. Detail after detail rang out in meter, the Lord has won a great victory.

Songs are wonderful memory tools. Songs stick to memory much stronger than prose. Deborah is composing a song so Israel will remember what the Lord God has done.

Not long ago we were singing Christmas songs. Oh, how I love them. In another couple of months we will be singing the songs of Easter and Good Friday. These songs are rich and faith building, especially the Good Friday and Easter songs. And what do they do, they recall in song the great events of the faith, Jesus’ birth, passion, death and resurrection.

As I sit this morning I long for more songs of substance, more songs that extol what God has done in the scriptures and in history, songs that will build my heart and mind; songs that will teach the next generations. Songs like Deborah’s song that memorializes, in meter, God’s great saving acts.

Lord, writing songs is not my forte… so I pray for Christian song writers. I pray that they would be inspirited to write songs of substance, songs that take the great truths and events of the faith.  To take those songs and put them to meter in contemporary ways, helping the Church to sing and therefore learn the great movements of our faith. I pray for a new hymnody, singable, fresh and substantive. This is my prayer, Lord. This is my prayer. Amen

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment