Saturday, February 1: Judges 4- The Challenge of Deborah.

Deborah’s account breaks many of the stereotypes of the OT. Deborah was a prophetess and was leading (judging) Israel. A woman leading in Israel, and she apparently held significant sway. From Ephraim, she calls for Barak of Naphtali to take an army from Naphtali and Zebulun and attack Jabin and his army at Mt Tabor. Barak never questions Deborah, he only asks for her to come with him.

Deborah must have been a very strong woman who heard clearly from the Lord. She also didn’t allow stereotypes from keeping her from doing what the Lord wanted her to do.

My mind whirled, “Do I ever allow stereotypes or cultural conventions to keep me from doing what the Lord wants me to do?”

Questions began to flow:

Do I not do things I believe the Lord wants me to do, because people would think I am foolish?

Do I second guess what I believe God wants me to do because others might not understand?

Deborah’s life and ministry is challenging me in ways I never expected as I opened God’s Word today. Such is the wonder of God. His Word is always fresh and challenging.

Lord, thank You for the whisper of Your Spirit, reminding me that I must be true to You no matter what people might think about me. Lord, this is what it means to be a Christ-follower.

Help me to do a better job of being obedient to You and Your ways. I pray in Jesus’ name. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment