Thursday, February 27: Galatians 1- Importance of the gospel.

How important is the Gospel and its defense to Paul? Immensely important!

I was struck by the veracity of Paul’s defense. Evidently some people are throwing you into confusion and are trying to pervert the gospel of Christ. But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach a gospel other than the one we preached to you, let him be eternally condemned! As we have already said, so now I say again: If anybody is preaching to you a gospel other than what you accepted, let him be eternally condemned! (7b-9).

We will have to allow the letter to unfold to hear the Gospel Paul preached. But for now, I was struck by Paul’s ‘no holds bared’ defense. Twice he says that those who pervert the Gospel should be eternally condemned! There is no fate worse than this. This is the strongest language possible.

Those who pervert the Gospel deserve a seat alongside the devil and his henchmen in hell for all eternity. This is what Paul writes. And if we overlay the understanding that all scripture is inspired by God, then this is what God has destined for people who pervert the Gospel!

Is the Gospel important? Absolutely!

The voice of the Spirit follows, “Since the Gospel is so important you should make sure you know what the Gospel is.”

Yes, I thought. I need to know the Gospel for my own salvation. I need to know the Gospel so that I can tell when someone is preaching a false gospel, which is really no gospel at all (7a). And I should know the Gospel so that when called upon, I can share it correctly myself.

As I read the remainder of Galatians, my eyes are set on descriptions of the Gospel.

Lord, thank You for the Gospel, it is the hope of salvation for all who believe. It is my hope, and it is my calling along with all in Your church to share that hope with the world until there are believers from every tribe and language and nation. To Your glory, I pray and labor. Amen.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment