Monday, November 24: Song of Solomon 21- His banner over me is love.

Every now and again I hear someone speak of the Lord, commenting that ‘his banner over me is love.’ What a great picture that is, God’s banner over me (us) is love.

In college I remember my college Christian group singing, “He takes us to the banqueting table, his banner over me is love…” It was a song about God’s love and care for us. Again what a comforting image.

This morning I read Song of Songs 2:4, the text from which song comes: He has brought me to his banquet hall, And his banner over me is love (NASB).

Fascinating, in its biblical context it is a statement by the woman about her beloved, her husband! The woman sings that her husband brings her to the banqueting table. His banner over her is love!

This launched me into considering, “How well do I love and care for my wife?” Would my wife say of me, “His banner over me is love?”

Most often my time with the Lord leads me to considering my relationship with Him. But today, God has me considering how well I love and care for my wife...

Lord, thank You for the gift of marriage and for my wife, the wife of my youth. I am a different person in life and in faith because of her. I treasure her as a gift and a gift from You. May I be for her as this man was for his wife. May I be for her as You, Jesus, are for Your church (Eph 5:25ff). I pray this in Jesus name. Amen.

 

1 I realize that not all of my readers may be married, so today’s devotion might not fit you. My prayer is that you will hear something from the Lord in this passage that speaks to your heart as this one did to mine.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment