Thursday, November 20: Ecclesiastes 11- Center your life in the Lord.

I found myself mulling over verse 9. I may no long be ‘young’ but the advice seemed appropriate for any age, particularly the second part of the verse … Follow the ways of your heart and whatever your eyes see, but know that for all these things God will bring you into judgment.

Although following the ways of the heart can get us into trouble if our heart is not stayed on God, it seems that the writer builds an appropriate caution into the general statement when he writes God will bring you into judgment.

This portion of the sentence seems to be a caution or correction to an ‘anything goes’ possibility if we were to take the first part of the sentence by itself.

On balance I hear the Lord saying,  “Understand that I am watching and knowing that, follow the ways of your heart and what your eyes see”.

Stated positively and with a little license, I hear the Lord saying, “Center your life on Me and not follow the impulses of your heart. Let your eyes guide you…” And this seems to be a good word from the Lord.

Lord, keep me stayed on You. May my heart beat with Your heart and as it does, let it lead me to things that will be fulfilling for me and glory producing for You. In Jesus’ name, I pray. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment