Wednesday, November 5: Revelation 20- Standing before God.

 

There are things in the Book of the Revelation I do not understand, among them, the 1000 year imprisonment of Satan before his final defeat and banishment to eternal torment.

In the same way there are images that make sense to me. I tend to focus on these. The white throne judgment scene fits this latter category and so I spent my time meditating upon it.

Then I saw a great white throne and him who was seated on it. The earth and the heavens fled from his presence, and there was no place for them. And I saw the dead, great and small, standing before the throne, and books were opened. Another book was opened, which is the book of life. The dead were judged according to what they had done as recorded in the books. The sea gave up the dead that were in it, and death and Hades gave up the dead that were in them, and each person was judged according to what they had done. Then death and Hades were thrown into the lake of fire. The lake of fire is the second death. Anyone whose name was not found written in the book of life was thrown into the lake of fire (11-15).

Standing before God, the deeds of my life listed for Him and me to see. There will be no Johnnie Cochran or Alan Dershowitz to wrangle a “not guilty” plea. No, it will be raw hard truth. And the only word I deserve to hear is “Guilty.”

All this is true, save one thing… the blood of Jesus. With Jesus’ covering, my name is written in the book of life. Thanks to Jesus I escape the second death.

My mind wandered back to my deserved guilty sentence.  Oh, the gift of grace. Oh, the delight of faith in Jesus.

I have no words… only an offer. Faith in Jesus will provide you with the same result.

Life or death… your choice.

Lord God, all I can muster is Thank You. Praise You. Bless You, Father Son and Holy Spirit. Amen.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment