Saturday, November 15: Ecclesiastes 7-Living in the light of my mortality.

In a chapter filled with meditative pause points, it was the latter stanza of verse 2 that garnered my attention. …death is the destiny of everyone; the living should take this to heart.

I suppose one could take this line in a morbid sense of always thinking about one’s death, but I don’t think that is at all what the writer is attempting to say. Rather I believe the writer is reminding us that death is inevitable. We cannot cheat death and the fact that we will someday die should impact how we live.

·         What will be my legacy?

·         In what ways will I leave this world better and better off that I lived?

·         Since I do not know the day of my death, am I consistently showing love to those I say I love?

And then, of course, there are ultimate questions of life and faith and God.

·         Is God pleased with the life I am living?

·         Some day I will stand before God. How is that thought guiding my living today?

Death is the destiny of everyone; the living should take this to heart.

Lord, in a health and wise way, help me to live today, and all of my todays, in light of the truth that life here is a preparation for living with You for eternity, thanks to faith in Jesus Christ. Lord, guide me that my life impacts this my world for good and for You. In Jesus’ name, I pray. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment