Thursday, November 27: Song of Solomon 5- insecurity in love, in relationship.

For years I have struggled with verses 1-8. What is going on? Just yesterday we read the bliss of marriage and now this???

Again, I was helped by doing some outside reading. And again, as in chapter 3, this is likely a dream. One commentator put it like this:

This section most probably is to be taken like 3:1-5, as a dream sequence. Love brings its joys, but those joys are seldom unalloyed for long. We are such flawed and fragile creatures, and interpersonal relationships contain such subtleties. With our joys come fears. Often they surface in our dreams, arising from some sense of failure or fear of inadequacy. (Expositor's Bible Commentary)

The ecstasy of marriage and honeymoon give way to realities and we are flawed imperfect people and we bring our flaws into every relationship. Insecurities can lead to wild dreams. I have had them but we don’t need to allow them to rule our lives or destroy our love.

In verses 10 through the end, she returns to her love and begins to recount that she remains head over heels in love for her man.

My thoughts return to insecurities; having them is one thing, what we do with them is another. Do we stay there? Do we stew over them and let them simmer and grow until they control us? Or do we lay them at the feet of our Lord, asking for strength to change where necessary and to let them go where they are false and unfounded.

Hmmm, think about this…

Lord, I surrender all my relationships to You. Lead me to be a better person, one who reflects You and Your character more and more as I grow. Open me to honest correction and protect me from false guilt.

And, Lord, as I pray this about my human relationships, I pray even more for this in my relationship with You. I seek to be Yours, to live breath and find my being and center in You, Lord Jesus. In You. Amen.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment