Saturday, November 8: Ecclesiastes 1-.

As I turn to Ecclesiastes this morning, I feel like I am grinding gears. It is such an abrupt change from the Revelation.

The writer strikes a sour chord… “Meaningless! Meaningless!” says the Teacher. “Utterly meaningless! Everything is meaningless” (2, NIV).

 “Absolutely pointless!” says the spokesman. “Absolutely pointless! Everything is pointless” (2, GW).

The Teacher says, "Useless! Useless! Completely useless! All things are useless" (2, ICB).

Meaningless, pointless, useless… All things are meaningless, pointless, useless. Such are the sentiments of this chapter.

As I read and pondered this, my mental wheels began spinning. If I reduce life to simply the things I do, there is a sense the author is right. I (we) spin our wheels. We do this and that, but what change do we really effect?

A modern proverb that connects with this thought goes like this: “the more things change the more they stay the same.”

I began thinking about my life, what gives me (my life) meaning. Truthfully it is my kingdom work. Not mowing the lawn or cleaning the bathroom or doing my laundry or any of the myriad of chores that must be done but will need to be done again in short order. No, the things that give my life meaning are the kingdom things I do and the relational connections I foster. These bring me meaning and the kingdom things I do will last, because God who is eternal is in them.

I began to think, “I should give more energy to the things that give life meaning and will last, rather than seeking after the meaningless, pointless and useless things of life.”

I should put more energy into quality relationships and kingdom endeavors…

Oh, the places the Lord takes me when I spend time in His Word.

Guide me, O God, to deeper places with You. Spur me on to a greater kingdom –Your kingdom- endeavors. This I pray in Jesus’ name. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment