Friday, December 26: John 5- Jesus is God.

John makes it clear from the outset that Jesus is God even as the Father is God. John begins his Gospel with those profound words, In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God (1:1).

Now again in chapter 5 John underscores this truth and makes sure his readers understand that the Jewish leaders understood that Jesus was who He says He was…God. So, because Jesus was doing these things on the Sabbath, the Jewish leaders began to persecute him. In his defense Jesus said to them, “My Father is always at his work to this very day, and I too am working.” For this reason they tried all the more to kill him; not only was he breaking the Sabbath, but he was even calling God his own Father, making himself equal with God (16-18).

Certainly Jesus was a great ethical teacher, but if you want to believe in Jesus as presented in the New Testament, then you cannot stop there. Jesus, as presented in the pages of the NT is God. Here is the truly earth shaking truth of the NT. Jesus is God, fully God. The Jewish leaders of His day got it, he was even calling God his own Father, making himself equal with God.

As CS Lewis said, ‘By saying this, Jesus was either a Lunatic, Liar or He is in fact the Lord God of the universe’.

I believe the latter. How about you?

And I will align my life to obey and serve Jesus as God. How about You?

Lord Jesus, I worship You along with the Father and the Spirit. I believe You are God and I serve You as my God. I trust Your words and the whole of the Bible which You, the Father and the Spirit inspired and I will align my life to fulfill Your mandates and teachings. In Your name Jesus,I pray. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment