Saturday, December 6: Psalm 5- Sustained by the Lord.

It is apparent from reading this Psalm that it was a morning prayer by David, a first prayer of the day by David. A ‘good morning Lord, the day is beginning’ kind of prayer.

This thought alone got me thinking how David cultivated his connection with the Lord. His day, the day he prayed this prayer at least, he began seeking God’s protection from his enemies. Significant times of his life David was on the run from people trying to kill him. Psalm 5 certainly fits into one of those times.

For me it is always a good thing to start my day with Jesus in prayer and The Word.

The psalm opens with David crying out to the Lord:

Listen to my words, LORD, consider my lament.

Hear my cry for help, my King and my God, for to you I pray.

There must be pain, concern, even fear on his heart because he is crying out to the Lord a lament for protection during the day.

Difficult times drive many of us to the Lord. God is there waiting to supply our need, to help us in our times of trouble.

As I read this Psalm, it suggests to me that David is in a season –an extended time of trouble. David, it seems, has the faith to rise this day –and probably many days- praying for God’s strength, protection and judgment upon his enemies.

Prayer isn’t necessarily an instant fix… but an on-going relationship with the Lord who is with us, sustaining us during the trials until He brings us out of it.

God is with me, in good times and bad. Joyous days and arduous seasons, the Lord sustains me, sustains all His children, who call out to Him.

Lord, like David, I call out to You in the AM.

Lord, hear my prayer.

Lord, like David and other psalmists, I cry out to You throughout the day.

Lord hear my prayer.

Lord, like saints throughout the centuries, when I lay my head down to sleep I call to You.

Lord, hear my prayer. Amen

 

No comments:

Post a Comment