Tuesday, December 2: Psalm 1- DELIGHT in the Lord.

The blessed of Psalm 1 is the person whose delight is in the law of the LORD (2). I found myself pondering those 8 words as I sat with the sky brightening as the sun rose upon the day.

Delight… for me is a fun word and a ‘light’ word. When I delight in something it is not a burden to do it.

I delight in my Monday extended breakfasts with my wife… we will sit and be with each other talking about life, the week to come, the week past, our kids, our life together, funny things, sad things… whatever. Often we are on our deck surrounded by nature and flowers and the beauty of God’s creation.

I delight in times in my woodshop. The smell of sawdust, the feel of wood in my hands, watching an idea or image in my mind take shape in wooden pieces around me. I delight in the sound and power of my machinery and in my hands that grow more rough and calloused when I have extended periods in my shop.

I delight in a hot shower after a hard workout. My sweat covered body being rinsed clean. My tired muscles relaxing under the streams of hot water. My lungs sucking in steamy warm breaths.

Things I delight in bring life to my inner being.

The psalmist says blessed is the person who delights in the Law of the Lord. I get that too. As I sit this morning, and most mornings, I fill my mind, my heart, my soul with God’s Word. I seek to linger in it, to steep my life in God’s Word. As water changes from plain clear water into tea as the tea leaves steep, so I feel God’s life and spirit changing me as I steep, as I sit, as I meditate and ponder God’s Law, God’s Word. This is not ‘heavy’ work for me. At one time it was duty, but in the latter years it has grown to delight… sitting with my Heavenly Father, my Abba, as He pours life, His life, into my life.

I hope and I pray that you grow to the place in Your life where God and God’s Word become your delight…

Bless the Lord O my soul and all that is within me bless His holy name!

Bless the Lord O my soul and forget not all His benefits…

Bless the Lord O my soul delight in the Lord and in His life breathing word.

Bless the Lord O my soul meditate on His word day and night…

Halleluiah Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment