Thursday, December 18: Psalm 15- God's high priorities.

Yesterday David sang about the fool and the utter corruption of us, humans. Today he sings of the blameless, those who may live on God’s sacred mountain… it is as if he has written two opposite songs.

How do the blameless live? They do what is righteous and speak what is true. They won’t slander a neighbor but revile the vile and honor those who fear the Lord. They keep their oaths to the Lord, even when it hurts. They lend to the poor without interest and do not accept bribes.

That is quite a list, and certainly it is not exhaustive, but rather suggestive.

The first stop of my mind is this. If I must do this perfectly, then I have no chance. It is easy to see how David has written, ‘Who is righteous? No, not one!’

But as a redeemed of Jesus, this Psalm gives me direction regarding how to live the high priorities on God’s list. And it certainly gives me focus for living as God would have me live…

Lord, I am far from perfect. But thanks to Your redemption, I have Your Holy Spirit in me. Today You remind me how I treat a neighbor, speaking with truthfulness, despising injustice and honoring righteousness. These are some of Your ‘to dos’. Spirit, give me strength to do Your ‘to dos’ today. In Jesus’ name, I pray. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment