Friday, December 5: Psalm 4- Close the day with Jesus.

It was evening when I sat to spend my time with the Lord today. Maybe that is why verse 4 arrested my attention.

Tremble and do not sin;

when you are on your beds, search your hearts and be silent.

In distress David calls out to the Lord. I suspect his situation is what leads him to write Tremble and do not sin. In the face of difficulty we sometimes tremble as the situation crashes around us. But David calls to himself not to sin. Do not resort to doing something that would displease the Lord.

I pondered this. In tough, hard and distressful situations, I can be tempted to act in my best interest even when my actions aren’t righteous or honoring of the Lord. I hear David saying, ‘Tremble, yes, but keep trusting’. Allow God to move, let the Lord defend you. Do not resort to dishonorable actions to ‘save your skin.’

The second line seems like it might be a wise action for every day. When you are on your beds, search your hearts and be silent. Those few minutes after climbing in bed but before sleep are a good time to review the day.  Lord, have I lived honorably today? Have I done Your bidding, listened for and to Your voice, displayed Your character in my life today?

It is good to seek the Lord and to keep short accounts in life. Spending a few moments at the close of the day reviewing the day seems like a worthwhile habit…

What do you think?

Lord God, thank You for today. A day to live and breath and find my being in You. Bless You Lord. Thank You for today and all the grace You lavished on me and others today. I pray in Jesus name. Amen.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment