Friday, May 8: Acts 17- A role of the Holy Spirit.

Paul was relentless in preaching the Gospel. Trouble in Thessalonica move on to Berea. Agitators show up in Berea, head to Athens. Five people interested in knowing more, work with them.

I found myself wondering about Thessalonica and Berea. Paul was only there a short time. In Berea he left his younger associates for a little while, but apparently not very long. So I wondered who instructed and helped the new Believers? Seemingly no one… at least no one of whom we know. So I am back to musing. Who helped the new Believers grow and remain solid in their faith?

The only answer I could come up with is God, the Holy Spirit.

Didn’t Jesus say the Spirit would lead us into all truth (John 16:13)? I guess Paul took Jesus at his Word.

Now I am not advocating a church planting scheme where the evangelist/pastor moves on after a few weeks and leaves the fledging church without help. In some of the cases Paul had no choice but to leave and we know he corresponded with Thessalonica. But I am realizing that we underestimate the work of the Holy Spirit.

It is the Spirit who guards and guides His church and we need to trust the Spirit to do that like Paul apparently did.

What I am realizing is that the Spirit is more important and capable than I sometime give C

Him credit.

Lord, sometime I think I try to play the role of the Spirit. Help me to learn to listen to You better, Lord, as a church leader and to trust that You are in control. I pray this is Jesus’ name. Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment