Monday, May 25: Psalm 39- Who/what are you living for?.

A penetrating Psalm, it burrowed deeply into my inner self, to my thoughts and soul. Verses 4 and 5 seem to be the tip of the auger for me. Show me, LORD, my life’s end and the number of my days; let me know how fleeting my life is. You have made my days a mere handbreadth; the span of my years is as nothing before you. Everyone is but a breath, even those who seem secure.

Everyone is but a breath, even those who seem secure… this is so true. If eternity is the view, whether I live 80 or 120 years, they are but a breath compared to eternity.

I live in a world which, on the one hand, is obsessed with health, beauty and youth. Use this supplement, take this drug, try this diet, work this exercise plan, do this, do that so you can live longer and look prettier/skinnier; use this ointment to remove the age lines on your face, color your grey hair away. We have an obsession with youth. Then on the other hand, more people smoke, drink, are workaholics or couch potatoes…it seems these are at odds with each other. We are ‘schizophrenic’ people.

What we don’t really do is consider our lives in light of God. David gets it. God holds his life in His hands. My hope is in you, he sings in verse 7.

It is certainly wise to live as healthily as possible, but is a healthy lifestyle to live longer or to live better? Is it to extend my life so I can live it on my terms or so I can live most faithfully for the Lord who holds my life in His hands? These are some of the questions that I am wrestling with in light of this Psalm.

Am I striving to live a full life for ME or for service to my LORD?

David has me chewing on the deeper things… like….’Who am I living for?!!’

Forty years ago, Lord, I answered Your call to follow You. My path hasn’t been straight; I have veered off your way at times. But my trajectory, I believe, has been toward You. And yet there are mornings like this where You ask me deep questions. Show me course corrections that I need to make right now so that my life is lived faithfully for You. I pray this in Jesus’ name. Amen.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment