Saturday, May 16: Acts 24- Two years.

Two years, 24 months, 104 weeks, 730 days Paul was in prison in Caesarea waiting for his case to be decided. Paul, a man of action, was cooped up and we know very little about this time. It is almost like there is a blank 2 years in Paul’s life, as far as we are concerned.

Sometimes life is like that… it is blank. It is filled with many days that all seem like the one before. Nothing exciting, nothing particularly special, nothing to mark one day from the rest… just living, breathing and doing whatever we do during the day.

Maybe Paul, who had a measure of freedom during this time, visited with friends and talked with them about life and faith and following Jesus. Maybe he sat many days alone under guard. We don’t know.

Maybe he was able to worship with other believers on the Lord’s Day and other times, and maybe not. We do not know.

Maybe he had parchments and could study during these days or maybe he had nothing to help pass the hours. We don’t know.

As I thought about this, all I know for certain is that Paul held onto his faith. He remained strong and vibrant in faith and he never lost trust in the Lord. Somehow God would redeem this time. After all God was still in control and somehow this was part of the Lord’s plan for Paul’s life.

I thought, no matter the season of life I am in, whether I am feeling used of God or not, whether I feel like I have a purpose or not, I am a son of God and my highest good is to keep on loving God with all my heart and soul and mind and strength. As the famous catechism states:

What is the chief end of humanity? To love God and to enjoy Him forever. And this can be done no matter what is happing or not happening around me in life!

Thank you, Lord God, that You control my days and every day is an opportunity to live with You and for You. May I do that well today. Amen.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment